Skip to content ↓

Court Lane Junior Academy

Pupil Premium

Pupil Premium

The Pupil Premium is additional funding for publicly funded schools in England to raise the attainment of pupils who are entitled to Universal Free School Meals, are a Looked After Child (through adoption or foster care) or have a parent in the HM Services. It is for pupils of all abilities and to diminish the difference in achievement between them and their peers.

It is for schools to decide how the Pupil Premium is spent and to assess what additional provision should be made for the individual pupils.

Catch Up Premium

The Catch-up Premium is one-off Government funding to support children and young people to catch up on missed learning caused by coronavirus (COVID19).

As a school we can use this funding for specific activities to support our pupils’ education recovery in line with the curriculum expectations, in a way that suits our children and their circumstances, we are expected to use this funding for specific activities which will help pupils catch up on missed learning.

Free Schools Meals and Pupil Premium Information

Currently, pupils in Years 1 and 2 as well as Reception children all receive free school meals, these are paid by government funding. This provision is called Universal Free School Meals or UFSM.

In addition to this funding, parents in low income families or those that are unemployed can also apply for Pupil Premium funding so that their children can receive free school meals in subsequent school years (Year 3 and onwards). Pupil Premium funding can also give children access to some discounted educational trips and events throughout their school years.

Please read on to find out how to check if you are eligible and if so, how to apply for this financial support.


The Government is giving money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. This funding is called a ‘Pupil Premium’.

If you qualify, your child/children can receive free school meals and reduced costs towards some after school activities (e.g. Dance, Football, Cookery clubs) or curriculum enrichment opportunities such as learning to play an instrument. If you are registered for Pupil Premium you may also get help with the cost of day trips and residential trips. 

Are you eligible?

You can register your child for Free School Meals if you receive any of these benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
  • Working Tax Credit - 'run-on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit, provided your household income does not exceed £7400 per year

Please note you are not eligible if you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit.

How to apply

Registering is really quick and easy – you can apply online at and get an immediate answer. If you are eligible, your child’s school will be notified within 5 working days.

If your application is successful, please complete our schools form (shown below) and return to the school office.

If you want your child to have a free, healthy meal at lunchtime that’s great – they will get the free meal, saving you more than £400 a year.

If you don’t want your child to have the free school meals, they can continue as normal – as long as you qualify and are registered, you still get discounts for some educational activities from the £1,320 extra the school receives.

If you have any problems with applying for this support, please call our school office on 02392 375444 or 02392 378890 for Infants.

No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.

Alternatively if you would like either of the Court Lane Schools to check on your behalf, please complete the form to do this, or call in to either of the school’s offices. Note we will need parent’s name, parent’s date of birth and parent’s national insurance number.

Your help and co-operation is greatly appreciated.